4/12/11

Volleyball Final Project - Post 1 - Preproduction

Pitch:

A guy hits a volleyball so hard that it goes into another dimension, than comes back and smash a girl in the face.

Description :

I have to admit that, at first, I had no idea what to do for my final project. When I realized that it wouldn’t help to keep cursing Ben Bays in English or in French for not giving us something more specific than “do anything you want”, I started to put my ideas on the table:

I wanted to do something cool.
I wanted to do something funny.
I wanted to play volleyball.

Of course that last line was being a problem, because I really needed to find an idea. Then I thought “why not including volleyball in my project?”. Yes. That would be awesome. For me. Probably lame for others tho. Because how could I mix volleyball and special effects, with my still poor skills, and make it look cool?

But I had absolutely no other idea, so I started to seriously think about it.

Ok, it has to be funny. What is funny in volleyball? There is only one true answer: Someone taking a ball on the face.

That’s a beginning. Or, more precisely, an end. Now, what would come first?

Me (because I have to be part of it, as every good French narcissist), probably serving. After would come some cool shoots of the ball hit, with funny faces. The effect would start here.

I would use Maya for making a ball in 3D, and import it into after effects where I'll create all the other effects. We would then follow the ball through space (because it would go so fast that it would leave our dimension), now would be the time for a series of cool effects, like light speed, rotating around the ball and letting us discover for one rotation the face of Wilson from Cast away, stuffs like that.

It would also cross the way of some famous spaceships, like a Star Wars Stardestroyer, the Star Trek Enterprise, the MIR station, Tintin rocket, the ship of toy story. The ball would go so fast that it would start to burn, as in coming into the atmosphere, and create smoke. It would start to have the look of a meteorite.

It would then ends its course in the face of my opponent (a girl, because I’m a jerk) in an explosion of pain (I’m pretty sure After Effects has a lot of tools allowing us to create pain).

A final joke for ending it, a fast credit involving volleyballs, and that’s it. Also, because I still kind of feel bad to hit a girl in the face (even if it's my specialty in volleyball), the short movie will end with me taking a ball into the face, without effects. because it's always fun.

It’s maybe a bit ambitious, I don’t really now yet how I’m going to do some of those effects. I also hope that the 3D ball won’t slow after effect too much. But I think I can have a lot of fun doing it. Plus I get to look cool while hitting a ball, and that’s priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment